The group came into recognition in 1985 with the help of certain extremist Wahhabi clerics in the Punjab province of Pakistan. Backed by President Zia ul-Haq, the SSP came into existence as a reaction to the Islamic Revolution of Iran and the growing presence of Shias in the Pakistani political and economic scene. As a result of sectarian incitement by the likes of Azam Tariq, Israr Ahmed, and other extremist preachers, the organization grew tremendously and acquired its peak membership during the mid-1990s. The ultimate goal of the organization was to create a Wahhabi state in Pakistan, with its radical interpretation of Sharia law as the basis of the constitution.
As part of its political activities, the organization published a plethora of sectarian literature and used its radical speakers to poison the minds of moderate Sunnis nationwide, who had hitherto lived quite amicably with the Shia population of Pakistan. The financing for this campaign of hate of course came out of Saudi coffers. Shias were labeled Kafirs (non-Muslims), and violence against them was deemed permissible, and in many cases obligatory. Attacks on Shia mosques and religious gatherings began to occur, disturbing peace in the nation and affecting economic and government stability. The organization also carried out targeted killings of Shia academics, professionals, and religious scholars, the purpose being to intellectually and financially cripple the Shia community of Pakistan.
Most of this violence was ignored by the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, which counted on Sunni extremist organizations for political support. The building chaos led to intervention by Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, who gave a harsh warning to the group in January 2001. The leader of the SSP called for negotiations between Shias and Sunnis soon after, but that hardly affected the escalating Shia bloodshed. Pressure mounted on the Pakistani government to crack down on such terrorist groups after the 9/11 attacks, and that is when the situation seemed to take a turn.
After President Musharraf's crackdown on radical extremists, many members of the SSP went into hiding. The organization was declared illegal by the government, but its leaders have since resurfaced in other, equally violent, extremist organizations, such as Lashkar-e-Jhangwi and Jaish Muhammad. The SSP seems to be quieter, but it still exists as a political group.
The SSP is a terrorist group that used means of violence and terror to intimidate the minority Shias of Pakistan. It was created with the support of former Pakistani President Zia ul-Haq, extensively trained by the Taliban, and intensively funded by the Saudi government. Though its activities seemed to have dwindled per se, it set the foundation for much more violent and extremist organizations that are still carrying out unmentionable atrocities against the Shia population of Pakistan.
Please recite a Sura Fatiha for Allama Arif Hussain al-Hussaini, Allama Hasan Turabi, the believers of Parachinar, and all those who have fallen victim to the senseless violence perpetrated by the Sipah-e-Sahaba.
- Dear brother Salam,
It looks very little approach from your side on this YAZIDI ANJUMAN. Previously it was named as ASS......means donkey!!
I think we should realize it that our stage is equally contributor for the upcoming of this terrorist group. So i'll request you to make a comprehensive article on this topic.
- We the 12 Imami Shia of Pakistan need to stand up and defend ourselves against these wahabi/Salafi/Deobandi. The problem is Shia in Pakistan are not violent and majority of them including myself do not consider Sunni to be Kaffir but these Wahabis hide behind Sunnis, they are polluting Sunnis minds and they consider ALL Shia to be Kaffir.
They are killing Shia at the rate of one, two nearly everyday in different cities of Paksitan. Please help the fallen Shia. Please goto the following link and pass this link on as well. We need to help the families of fallen/martyred Shia.
- understanding saphe sahaba
- Its the worng concept presented in this articel. Sipa-e-Sahaba came into being because Shias abuse the Sahabas Abu Bakar, Usman and Umer. Secondly, Shais abuse the Mother of Ummah Hazrat Aisha. Which you people called as Tabarrah. This creates hatred between Shias and Sunnis.
If you stop doing Tabarrah, and give equal respect to the Sahaba and Hazrat Aisha, then there will be no dispute between Shias and Sunnis.
- Salam aleikum wo rahmatullahe wo barakatu
I am Sakeena an Italian girl newly converted to Islam, the real Islam of Ahl-u-bayt, and i thank Allah that now I'm Shia.
My husband is a shia muslim from Pakistan and he is so worried about the situation of Shias there as his whole family lives in Quetta where recently (at Eid) happened a bomb car explosion. Thank God his family is safe but children, mothers, who were innocent were killed. I can't believe they did it at Eid, because a true Muslim can't do such a thing like that at the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
They do demonstration protests but the country itself is rotten because of corrupt politicians and people who thinks bad about other people.
Why sunni say aisha is mother of umma she was not even capable of being mother. The true mothers were Khadija and Fatima who gave progeny to Muhammad.
Please Iran help Shia in Pakistan! What can we do?
God bless you all.
- Not enough at all, make the world aware,make the people and governments in the west aware of the wahabi threat. Sue them as shia and nonshia victims sue with individuals and ngo s in western courts,sue them in international courts,sue them and the Saudis in the Hague for war crimes and genocide and crime against humanity with strong evidence.Let the world know,let the west know who the saudis and wahabis are.Remind the west that saudi sponsored wahabis did the9/11 and other crimes.Act since u have the lawyers and the resources,sue them everywhere with strong evidence and good literature in a language which the West would also understand.
- This situation has arisen partly because of sense less shia clerics like Irfan haider abidi n partly as a reaction to the growing geo political influence of shias..however the leader of SSP himself admitted in an interview with BBC that paks people are following Iranis in their political affairs and pak shias want an iran type revolution in pakistan.
Neverthless,we should not plung into the blame game,however we need to effectively implement the universal chartar on muslim unity.This chartar has provided a comprehensive solutions to all the inter sectarian problems.
Muslims should effectively follow the wisdom of Hazrat Ayatullah Syed Ali Khaminai
- FIRST ALL SHIAS SHOULD RESPECT ALL 4 SAHABAS EQUALLY AS ALL SUNNI DO. HAZRAT ALI IS RESPECTED SAHABA FOR ALL SUNNIS. THEN WHY IS THE DIFFERENCE. WE ALL PRAY TO ALLAH THEN THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY TYPE OF HATRED.
- The people who support, finance and kill innocent people just because of their Love for Prophet Muhammad (saww) and his blessed family are all going to be answerable one day when they present their deeds to ALLAH swt.-, the most just and the giver of justice. May ALLAH curse these people who are spoiling the good name of Islam
- aslam u alakum.......
i want to say to all of my shia muslims to be aware of ssp deeds in ur surroundings. i want to tell u that the ssp main goal is to kill shia and they are taught to do so. the thing that we should do now is to aware our childrens of their deeds and bring an awareness in our society. the basic thing is to understand well the preachings of IMAM HUSSAIN(ALAH SLAM)
pray for me and take care of urself .