|code: 313501||Date: 2012/05/07 - 17:44||source: Islam Times|
Palestinian Hunger Strikers' Appeal Rejected by Israeli Court
(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - Israel's Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by two Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in protest at being held without charge, their lawyer has said.
The two prisoners, Bilal Diab and Thaer Halahleh, have been on hunger strike for 70 days.
"The Supreme Court refused both appeals," Jamil Khatib told the AFP news agency on Monday of the prisoners' appeals against their administrative detention.
A ruling on the appeals was postponed after being lodged at Israel's highest court last Thursday, WAFA, the Palestinian News and Information Agency reported last week.
The two men are among hundreds of Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike to demand better conditions and an end to detention without trial in one of the biggest prison protests in years.
Ten Palestinian prisoners participating in the mass hunger strike were placed under medical supervision on Saturday as their conditions worsened, a spokeswoman for Israel's prison service previously said.
At least 1,550 are taking part, although activists have said the figure is as high as 2,500 out of 4,600 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.
Most of those participating began refusing food 19 days ago, but a smaller core have been striking for periods ranging from 40 to almost 70 days.
Diab was moved to a civilian hospital last week. An independent doctor with Physicians for Human Rights-Israel said then that he was at immediate risk of death.
Both Diab and Halahleh, were suffering "acute muscle weakness" which prevented them from standing, Addameer, a Palestinian prisoner rights group, said.